Emission offsets or credits are generated by projects that have voluntarily reduced their greenhouse gas emissions. Emission offsets are quantified using Alberta-approved methodologies called quantification protocols, and are verified by a third party in accordance with the Standard for Validation, Verification and Audit.
Emission offset projects must meet the requirements in the Technology Innovation and Emissions Reduction (TIER) regulation, the Standard for Greenhouse Gas Emission Offset Project Developers, and a relevant Alberta-approved quantification protocol. Alberta emission offsets are registered and publicly listed on the Alberta Emission Offset Registry currently operated by CSA Group.
Commonly used protocols in the Energy industry include:
- Greenhouse Gas Emission Reductions from Pneumatics Devices
- CO2 Capture and Permanent Storage in Deep Saline Aquifiers
- Vent Gas Reduction
- Others may also apply in specific applications
Facts on the Alberta Carbon Offset Registry:
- 1 Tonne of CO2E reduced = 1 Carbon Offset = $50/tonne in 2022. There are suggestions by the Federal government that this may get to as high as $170 tonne by 2030.
- Most projects can generate carbon offsets for up to 8 years after implementation
- Although offsets may be shared/collaborated with others, when working with McIntosh Perry you can keep 100% of your registered carbon offsets.
- The governing regulations may limit the timeframe to generate carbon offsets.Keeping in mind the intent of offset/credit is to exceed the benchmark or regulatory requirements. For example Due to regulation changes that come into effect Jan 1, 2023, many projects will need to be registered by December 31, 2022 in order to be eligible.
At McIntosh Perry, we combine our decades of engineering experience in the Energy Industry, with our expertise in Regulatory Compliance and Emission Reduction to support the development and execution of a Carbon Offset Project.
We support Carbon Offset Project by providing:
- Project Scoping – Determine if projects fall under an Alberta Carbon Offsets approved Protocols Eligibility
- Coordinate inventory and data gathering
- Audit data for completeness
- Complete GHG reduction quantification
- Complete cost estimates for retrofits and analyze options for GHG reduction
- Propose effective solutions that reduce emissions
- Complete required paperwork (Quantifications, Project Plan and Project Report) to register carbon offsets
- Coordinate with third party verification
The resultant product is a carbon offset/credit that will be realized for the registration period (typically 8 years) as long as continuous monitoring and verification are maintained. Many clients consider this potential revenue to further develop emission reduction strategies and projects.
For more information on how we can help you with carbon offsets, please fill in the form below or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org